Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Florida I Love!!

If you don't know it already, I LOVE living in Florida!
I was born here, raised here, and have lived here most of
my soon to be 51 years!!
We enjoy the beautiful beaches, and the incredible
lakes, rivers and crystal clear springs.
Yesterday my buddy, Jess, invited us to go on
the Blue Springs Riverboat Tour. Of course, we couldn't resist!

When you cruise along the St. Johns River, you enter a time-warp.

On the river, time truly stands still.
It is Olde Florida in all of
her glory.



Come along with us and see for yourself...

So peaceful and serene...you feel all of your cares just
melt away...


The wildlife is so abundant as you will see.

OH!! Don't get too relaxed...
That is not a log in the water. It's an alligator.
This one is probably 8-9 feet.
Such a warm welcome!!
This one almost appears to be smiling at us as we go by!

It was overcast and the buzzards were just hanging out

A professional fisherman?? You never know what you'll see!!

This guy doesn't look very big, does he?
How about 13-14 feet?? YEP...I'm serious!!
He is the biggest we saw...awesome!!


Playing hide and seek!

We thought we were going to see this gator enjoy his lunch!
Fortunately...he just left the nice little birdie alone.


A majestic Blue Heron!

I'm not sure about this one. I think it's a
Snowy Egret.

Someone has gone along in a boat and hung these
little bird houses along the river.
HOW CUTE IS THAT??

OK...Mothers are mothers, right?
Check out this new mommy keeping watch over here
babies!!! They are piled up in front of her!!

A baby Blue Heron

A gorgeous Black Crowned Night Heron

Mr. Turtle posing for the camera!!

An Anhinga drying it's wings.

There is a neighborhood tucked back in the woods,
and this is a bench one homeowner put out to
sit on and enjoy the river! Lovely, huh???
I don't think I'd be sitting there!
Too much like GATOR BAIT!!!

Male and female Wood Ducks

A marvelous Osprey. These are often mistaken for
Bald Eagles.

The amazing root system of the Cypress trees.
And last but not least is this precious baby Barred Owl.
You can't see mama,
but she is to the upper right from him keeping watch
over her young'n!!
This little guy was such a delight to see. I love owls.
They are nocturnal, but do spend time awake during the
day as well. He just struck a pose for me, didn't he??

Well, I hope you enjoyed your riverboat cruise!
We sure did!!!


It was a glorious two hours of heaven on earth for me!!

Blessings and Joy!!

Becky

Thanks a million, Jess!! What a treat!!

23 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a good boat ride! Love it!
    What great pictures....I must say that the owl is my favorite....absolutely gorgeous!

    Hugs~
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is gorgeous, but the alligators just freak me out! I guess you get used to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely worth a visit! Have a nice weekend Becky!
    Gracie at http://mylittleplace.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous post, Becky!! Thanks so much for sharing your cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun tour! i love owls too. he is so pretty! those aligators had me squirming in my seat, blah! i couldn't even live that close to them. i can't believe a neighborhood is that close to that area! and the bench? oh no. no way. uh uh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot tell you how nervous looking at those pictures made me!!! Especially the one with the guy fishing off his boat! Your boat trip looked pretty with the birds and all, but the aligators are another story!!! Glad you enjoyed your day and you took some amazing photos!!!
    Hubby told me the guys were trying to get comp days, which is time off for working two days without pay. That would be fabulous!! I'm more upset over the time away. He's gone so much and so are the other guys he works with. You'd think someone would realize this and give them comp days. Thanks for brightening up my day!!! Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your photos are amazing I love the mamma gator with the babies all around her, it is a sweet getnle photo, of an animal most see beign not so gentle. I am with you I don;t think I would be sitting on that bench often.Love your blog I will be back to visit soon:-)

    God Bless and have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, I don't think I have to tell you how much I loved this! Not only the wildlife, but Florida! I'm with you on that. I'm a devoted Floridian. :-)

    We woke up one morning on a cold winter morning, and up above our door on our front porch was an owl! He comes to see us from time to time and likes to perch there which is fine by me. I just don't want to wake up with a gator in my yard... though my sister had one as a pet years and years and YEARS ago! LOL!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pic's take me back to my visit to the Bayou...it is so breathtaking! Have a blessed day dear one.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! those were some great pics! SCARY!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY.... THOSE ALLIGATORS GAVE ME THE HIBBY-JIBBY'S!!! BEAUTIFUL SCENERY!
    AND YOU ARE ALMOST 51? WOW!!! THE FLORIDA CLIMATE MUST AGREE WITH YOU, I HONESTLY FIGURED YOU MARRIED VERY YOUNG TO HAVE GROWN CHILDREN... I WOULD NOT HAVE GUESSED YOU OVER 46!

    HAVE A BLESSED FRIDAY DEAR FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, Yum, Yum .... I L-O-V-E Florida nature and wildlife! Every weekend we try to spend one day out in the lovely Florida outdoors! I was so so so happy to awake to RAIN today!!!! We live in central Florida and the rain has not made its way to us much at all yet. I've been praying it would, and this morning I sat at my window with my kitty and watched it pour and thanked the Lord! It was a nice quiet time, with the over cast and the sound of rain drops on the rooftop my kiddos slept a bit later than normal. (rain is comfy sleep weather... but I for one love to watch it fall from the sky!)

    I too was born and raised in Florida. First on the the south east coast (I sure do miss the 15 min drive to the beach... now it takes at least 2 hours to get to the ocean) but, now I am finally starting to see the the beauty in the central lands too! Just last weekend we visited Wakiwa Springs---- what a treat!!! God is good.

    Thanks for sharing the photos- I love to see nature!

    Blessings,
    Deanna
    PS- oops I wrote a book, sorry about that, I just carried away with my love of Florida too :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe someone put that bench there and is hiding out with their camera, hoping to catch some "action."

    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the mini vacation to Florida, Becky! I really enjoyed myself!:))

    Not a fan of the alligators- but ok as long as they stay far away!

    Just great photography! I loved the owl picture!!

    We are getting another snow storm on Sunday...ugh...3-7" hope we get the 3! But my mom and sister and her family are coming today (in the 50's and sunny) for a few days, and I am excited!! Gotta get busy:)

    Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. What absolutely beautiful photos and I see why you so love your home state.

    Have A Fabulous Friday
    From Roberta Anne
    The Raggedy Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What amazing pictures of a great trip Becky!! Looks like you had a fantastic day - you should get a job with the Florida tourist board, you do a great job of selling your corner of the world sweet friend! Love and blessings for a peaceful and happy weekend! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Becky,

    Thank you for the warm words you left on my Sharing Life with Lisa blog. Your heart touched mine.

    I love these photos. I live in Florida for the last two years. I will admit that it took a year to adjust but then I was fine and I absolutely enjoy living here but I have not ventured out too far yet. Unsure where you are but the River Boat Ride looks like it was awesome MINUS THE GATORS (SMILE).

    Bless you Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, thanks Becky for sharing those amazing pictures! Florida is so lush and full of beautiful wildlife. What a beautiful trip! Have a wonderful weekend dear friend. Elena:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed the photo tour, Becky. It was like being in the boat right along with you! The only boat ride I've been on in FL is the glass-bottomed boats at Silver Springs, and I like yours much better☺

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed your river boat tour, Becky. I LOVE Florida and would LOVE to live there. Now that our two kids are on their own we would really love to be in Florida during our cold Michigan winters. I'll be in Florida for two weeks in April and three weeks in July - I'm in serious need of beach! Great post, Becky - I've added your blog to my favorites!
    xo...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just Awesome! Beautiful wildlife pictures. You did such a great job capturing God's wonderful creation!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Florida is so full of beautiful scenery...
    Thanks for sharing your photos...
    Queenie~

    ReplyDelete
  23. These pictures are great. It is fun to see pictures of the different areas people live in on their blogs. I am also not sure about those alligators though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to share some JOY!
You're a blessing to me!